Common Courtesy ~ Mountain Mama

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Common Courtesy

I went to my knitting group earlier this week and pulled out the project I had decided to work on that evening--a sleeveless pullover (from Vogue Knitting of course) worked vertically in a seed stitch pattern. I selected green, yellow and beige easy-to-clean (translation: crappy acrylic) yarn. I intend to wear it to early Fall football games.

Anyway, one of the ladies there took one look at it and said "Wow, that's really ugly!"

Is it just me or was this rude? There are several character traits about this woman I appreciate: she is a productive knitter, she has some really great hints and tips, (wooly nylon to reinforce socks? Genius.) she doesn't concern herself with society's standards...ahh...this could be the problem. While it is commendable to march to the beat of a different drummer, there are some aspects of society that should be if not obeyed, at least respected.
  • People should always be treated with dignity.
  • Please and thank you should be habitual
  • IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING NICE, DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL. But try to find something nice to say

You can still be an individual and make room for some common courtesy. Opinions are great, but why hurt someone needlessly? (okay I wasn't exactly hurt) I'm smart enough to know that if anyone simply comments on how nice my stitches look that they really don't care for the entire effect. But that's fine. It's what makes us interesting.

***and she steps off the soapbox***

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin