The Spice Rack ~ Mountain Mama

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Spice Rack

I love my spice rack.

A few years ago, Real Simple magazine had an article about the best spice rack. Their solution involved purchasing watchmaker cases from Lee Valley Hardware and using them for spices. The medium aluminum cases hold fifteen watchmaker cases each. I have four of them, plus one case of twelve larger cases for larger whole spices (cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, star anise, etc.).

Of course they are in alphabetical order (I'm an organizer) and the whole stack of them can fit into a kitchen drawer. No pilfering in a dark cabinet, or wading through a million identical jars for me. I simply find the proper case, open the needed spice, and I am good to go. As for he frequent spices. I buy in bulk, keep them in a dark corner and refill as needed.

To my delight, a Penzey's Spice Store opened in the Denver area. It's not close, but I do end up in Denver on occasion and it's as convenient as anything else. I'm pleased to say my spice racks are full.

3 comments:

  1. my mother in law found worms in a recent purchased, bethesda maryland spice jar. I will never, ever eat from penzy ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand being put off by that, but if I never ate anything because i once found a critter in it, I would never eat a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep all the spices into a fixed sealed spice rack to help preserve the potency and freshness of the spices.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin