Experiment in the Kitchen ~ Mountain Mama

Friday, November 07, 2008

Experiment in the Kitchen

My mom was watching some foodie channel that I don't get and she called me to tell me about a cool trick she saw. A chef (and if I knew who it was I would totally link back to him) made a "Cole" slaw but used raw squash instead of cabbage.

Anything that involves squash is fair game for me (and induces eye-rolls in my family). I loved the idea of using the texture of raw sqaush.

Here's my riff on the theme.

2 apples, grated (keep the peel on for extra fiber)
1 raw acorn squash, peeled and grated
3T cider vinegar
2 cloves, 1 cardamom pod, 1 peppercorn, 1 allspice
2 t cinnamon
about 2 cups plain yogurt
brown sugar
  1. Put grated squash and apple in a bowl.
  2. In a microwave-safe cup, microwave the vinegar and whole spices. Let steep as long as you can (I was in a rush and it was maybe five minutes. My next batch is steeping right now)
  3. Remove the spices. Stir in Cinnamon. Add it and the yogurt (start with half the yogurt) to the slaw. Add enough yogurt to make it creamy enough for you.
  4. Add brown sugar to taste (I used a couple Ts)

Watch in amazement as 5yo munches it down for his snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin