The Black Hole ~ Mountain Mama

Monday, August 17, 2009

The Black Hole

My deck looks lovely. It really does. The Businessman did a great job.

Look! Water beads on the newly finished surface!



But...

Okay, just one little complaint.

We haven't done the stairs yet, and we may not until Spring, which makes this a great before and after picture:



Before: wood absorbed water like a sponge. After, water beads on top of wood.

Before: night time rainfall was dry by 8:00 am. After: deck still isn't dry until mid-afternoon.

Slippery when wet. Just ask the kids.

In other news, it's the first week of school, so free time has been limited. I've been trekking on the Baby Sweater while I wait for the results of the Choose Your Own Adventure I've got going on the side bar (don't forget to vote).

In working on the Baby Sweater, I met the Black Hole.

I read the pattern and knew I needed to knit on the front until it measured 8 inches. At about 7 inches I found the Black Hole. I knit about six more rows and measured: 7 inches. I knit another few rows and measured: 7 inches. I knit 1,287 more rows and measured again: 7.25 inches. I put it in time out and went to bed. When I pulled it out the next morning:



Eight inches. Yes! Time out works better on knitting than on 3yos. I pulled out the pattern to see what I should do next and read:

Buh, buh, buh, buh...Knit as for back until piece measures 6 inches. Begin neck shaping...

*screech*

Six inches?

*mumbling* Stupid black hole. *yanks out needle* Stupid elves who change numbers in patterns. *starts ripping*

You'd think gift knitting would be a little more immune to rookie mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin