An Attempt To Change Your Opinion About Walmart ~ Mountain Mama

Friday, July 24, 2009

An Attempt To Change Your Opinion About Walmart

Someone was ranting at me the other day about Walmart and when I asked what specifically he didn't like about them he started spouting off a bunch of crap he knew nothing about.

Okay, here's the deal.

I know you hate Walmart. They carry tons of China junk. Their products are cheaply made. Their grocery selection isn't very good (at least compared to the other stores I have around me). They're distinctly low brow.

I get that. I really do. It's not my favorite place to shop either. However...

Meet my brother (the tall one, not the short one):



He has a disability (Autism). He has been employed by Walmart for over four years. He makes a decent wage (more than I made when I worked retail). He has been given regular pay increases. He gets stock options, an employee discount and is rewarded consistently for his hard work.

He could be sitting at home doing nothing and living off of your tax dollars.

So don't lecture me about how evil Walmart is to their employees. Next time you see a hard working Walmart employee, know that they are being treated better than you may think.

And next time you see a disgruntled employee, know you only have one side of the story.

I would have said it to that guy, but I don't like direct confrontation.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:43 PM

    Well said!
    (ali of skeinsherway.com...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wal-Mart is indeed a double edged sword. Having worked for a company who was heavily carried by Wal-Mart, knowing their business practices and how they treat their vendors was difficult to say the least. However, they do contribute a lot of positives and in many instances are the bread and butter of small towns.

    And … that cheap Chinese stuff wouldn't be there if we* stopped buying it. It's our* own darned fault.

    *collective universal we/our.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say it sista, say it! I don't like out Walmart here at all. BUT the one in the next town over? Pretty cool. And clean, as Walmarts go. My cousin works for them too...when he moved from CA to FL they transistioned him right in without a hitch.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin