Granola ~ Mountain Mama

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Granola

I have a few food related habits I cannot explain:

  • I always buy a head of lettuce when I go grocery shopping, but I rarely make the corresponding salads
  • I painstakingly store leftovers, but never eat them
  • I cut out and save every granola recipe I find, but then wing it anyway
What I Made:

My favorite weekday breakfast: Plain Greek yogurt, fresh summer fruit and granola



My basic granola:

4ish cups rolled grains (not quick cooking) oats, rye, barley, etc.
1/2 cup brown or raw sugar
1 cup unroasted nuts/seeds--if they are already roasted, add them after the baking

Melt together
1/2 cup butter, Earth balance, canola
1/4 cup liquid sweetener (honey, agave, maple syrup)

Combine everything and spread on a cookie sheet

If you want less fat or sugar, you can cut back, or add more grains. I like the browning the oil and sugars provide.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Then check on it. If it looks toasty enough remove it. If not stir it up and check on it every couple minutes. It will be soft when you take it out of the oven. Before it can cool and harden, I remove it from the pan and toss it into my granola bin. A couple good shakes while it cools keeps it from solidifying into a huge chunk. If you want dried fruit and/or roasted nuts, add them now.

Experiments I tried:
Millet-use sparingly, lots of crunch
Flax seeds
Hemp seeds
coconut

Strangely I've never tried chocolate. Hmm. May have to rectify that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin