A Trip To The Indian Grocery Store ~ Mountain Mama

Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Trip To The Indian Grocery Store

Have you ever walked into a small, ethnic grocery store? It's one of my favorite pastimes.

Yesterday, after setting the last of my garbonzo beans to soak overnight for falafel*, I realized I have been flying through garbonzo beans (and cumin) faster than yarn. I headed for my local Indian grocery store, Rice 'n Spice.

Since, a significant portion of Indians are vegetarian, this ethnic store is one of my favorite places to visit. It inspires me to learn to try something new. It's always fun to experiment with some exotic find.

The Haul:



Four pounds of garbonzo beans (the rate I'm going they'll last a month), a half pound cumin (!)**, and fine bulgar wheat. I'm not a stranger to bulgar, but I've never seen it this finely ground.

Also, I found these little sauces: Coriander (cilantro) chutney, and spicy mango chutney.



It was a small trip today. I had my eye on some split mung beans and I always love their flat breads, but I kept it conservative today.

I think the Indian gentleman was impressed when Yummy said "Look mom, garam masala! That's what we put in curry!" And even more impressed when Vish said "I like this store. They give us lollipops."

*I've made falafel four times in the past month.
**This is the third time I've bought cumin this year. My previous bag held 1/4 pound.

What I Made:

Estes Vest, Day...um...5? Yeah, 5.



That gaping hole is destined to be a pocket. This hexagon pattern is starting to get to me. I think if I put it outside a hive of bees will move in.

5 comments:

  1. I'm always amazed at how much knitting you get done! The vest will look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's looking great!

    If you ever make it out to Tucson, I'll take you to the 17th Street Market. It is crazy—but full of ethnic foods from around the world. It's a perfect little bit of Boulder wrapped up in one store.

    We also bought a mason jar of cumin as we use it a lot too. Sometimes I open it just to smell.

    PS: Am I bad for saying I really don't like chutney?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love that store too! This winter I was cooking a different curry each week. A friend turned DH & I onto 660 curries. It is not all vegetarian, but more than half of the cookbook is so it was still worth the price. We ended up giving a couple copies out as Christmas gifts too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regina3:03 PM

    do you have a good recipe for falafel?? mmmm cumin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is why buying Indian grocery online makes sense

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin