The Businessman Starts A Project ~ Mountain Mama

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Businessman Starts A Project

I woke up Sunday morning to a terrifying thing. The Businessman had a mission.

Was there some fourteener he needed to conquor? Did he find a nice gentle twenty-five mile loop hike that could occupy a good portion of our morning. Were we out of coffee?

Nope. It's far, far worse than that. He has decided to refinish our deck.

*crickets*

I didn't call him The Handyman for a reason. Several reasons.

True to Businessman form, he has been researching and creating long lists for two years now. We have stain-chips in every color imaginable (who wants a pink deck?), notes on the proper procedure (Do we powerwash, sand, wash, stain? Or do we sand, powerwash, stain?), and lists of new tools to buy. There are convoluted equations about exactly how much stain we'll need because he calculated the exact square footage of not only the deck, but every railing, post, and beam.

I just wanted him to schlock on some sealant so we could get back to al fresca dining.

I'm sure it will be fine. We'll be able to use our deck again. In October.

What I Made:

Day 2 of the Estes Vest.



Not much knitting time today. TBM expected me to help move furniture, grills and plants. Then I had to run to the hardware store to get sandpaper. And face masks. And more sandpaper. I also had to cook dinner and eat it in our dining room. So much is expected of me on a Sunday.

I tried to avoid him by going around the corner of the house and pretending to work in the garden. I was actually talking to my eggplants and tomatoes.

I think my neighbor heard me.

3 comments:

  1. Your vest looks amazing. Your post made me smile.

    I just found your blog-from another Mountain Momma's blog. I've enjoyed my visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh - I always loathe staining day. The results are always always always worth it though. It's not "hard" as much as it's time consuming, awkward, and almost always starts to rain halfway through. Can you imagine the joy? Great work on the vest thus far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie10:09 AM

    I love this post and I am already jealous of the vest. Did I ever tell you how jealous I am of your fabulous self made pieces?
    Good luck with the deck project. Hope it is not too traumatic.
    p.s. Your veggies will only benefit from your conversations. They like to feel loved too.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin