Kettle Corn ~ Mountain Mama

Friday, July 03, 2009

Kettle Corn

The Businessman and I are frequent users of both Netflix and Redbox. Sometimes we even get grown-up movies. This week has been highly prolific for us.

Gran Torino: Outstanding. I had low expectations because I was in the mood for something light and frivolous. This movie is not either of those. It's possible I'm starting to get old, but I have newfound respect for Clint Eastwood now. Wow.

The Currious Case of Benjamin Button: A letdown. It's based on a short story which I had read recently. Why a 20 minute story needed 2:40 of film is beyond me. I was sipping The Best Margaritas Ever at the time and I don't pick up on symbolism in the soberest of circumstances. On the heels of Gran Torino: *pbbbbt*

What I Made:

Kettle Corn

I'm not a salty snack person. Chips languish in my pantry and movie popcorn is safe from me. But Kettle Corn? I love me a little Kettle Corn. I use the recipe from Allrecipes. I had to tweak it a little--I suspect high altitude.



Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large pot (preferably one with handles that you can easily lift and shake. Add a couple kernals of popcorn. When they pop you know your oil is ready. My stove is perfect at 3.5 (medium/medium low).



All at once, add 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup popcorn. Cover with a lid and shake shake shake.



Watch your sugar. It should melt and it might darken a bit but you don't want it too dark too fast. I found adding salt at this point guaranteed burnt sugar. Also, vent the lid a bit so it doesn't get too steamy in there.

Keep popping and shaking, popping and shaking until it slows. Remove from heat and sprinkle with salt to taste. Pour into a bowl and serve.

Oops. I forgot to take a picture and now it's all gone. The oldest Kettle Corn I've ever made lasted through the movie previews.

You will never spend $7.00 on kettle corn again.

2 comments:

  1. In honor of Gran Torino - that popcorn looks "Yum Yum". OK, maybe that was a tad too corny.
    Have a fab 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay and I make this all the time too. I use olive oil and sugar in the raw.

    We've been going to the theater Sunday mornings ($5 for the Early Bird special) and I make a bag of this, grab a couple of sodas and Hot Tamales and sneak it in inside a big bag. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin