Daring Cooks Challenge-Potstickers ~ Mountain Mama

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Daring Cooks Challenge-Potstickers

This month's Daring Cook's challenge was Potstickers. We are hosted by Jen from Use Real Butter.

I'll freely admit right now I very much riffed. In fact I hardly used a recipe at all. I think potstickers (and fried rice) are freely used in China as ways to get rid of leftovers. It all comes back to the housewives.

For my Dough:

1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup bread dough (for the extra gluten)
pinch salt
3/4-1 cup boiling water.

For my Filling:

A wedge of cabbage
A couple handfuls of spinach, wilted
Half a brick of tofu
Green onions
Garlic
Sesame oil
soy sauce
salt, pepper
A pinch of cornstarch to bind it up a bit.

You can go to Jen's post to learn the techniques needed.

Here are my fat chubbies, frying away. I added my water after this and covered the pan to steam 'em up.



Meanwhile I made dipping sauce.



Equal amounts soy sauce and rice vinegar. Some chili sauce (or chili oil) to taste.

Don't buy premade sauce. There is no point.

And Voila!



Why are they funny looking? I don't have a round cutter (does this shock you as much as it does me?) so I used a flower-shaped cutter.

They still taste good.

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful dumplings..picture perfect and they look delicious! Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy dumplings! You did a great job! Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great to me and I like how you used a flower shaped cutter. Bravo on this great result, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:50 AM

    Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:50 AM

    I didn't have a round cutter either - I used the top of a wine glass to cut mine, haha - creative with the flower cutter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look beyond delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:48 AM

    Flower-shaped wrappers look even better. Very interesting! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute - love the flower cutters ;) Great job on your dumplings and way to go on winging it. I never measure when I make these either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice, very Nice. I love Sriracha cleans out your sinus'. LOL. You can call your's cherry blossom dumplings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hee -- flower shaped potstickers are great! The filling sounds good, too, and I think you're absolutely correct that dumplings and fried rice are a great way to re-purpose leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. FlowerPotStickers! They look very tasty, I have never attempted these on my own before...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:01 AM

    Looks delicious, and I love the idea of flower-shaped pot-stickers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, the flower-shaped cutter makes them really cute, I like it! They look great, you did a really good job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your filling sounds fantastic and your floral "fat chubbies" look delicious. I can tell you're an expert at improv in the kitchen. I'd love to be as daring and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your flowerpotstickers are super cute! I suppose I should have used a cookie cutter but I just figured, they were sorta circular. :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. fat chubbies: too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It all looks and sounds delicious. You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea on the flower cutter. Made them unique. That sriracha-soy sauce sounds good to me =)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin