Stranded at the Drive-In ~ Mountain Mama

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Stranded at the Drive-In

We are fortunate enough to have a drive-in theater in our town. Drive-in's are slowly going extinct and it's very sad. I love the one here. The prices are great. The movies are current (maybe a week behind) and the concession stand is reasonable (not that seven bucks for popcorn is a little extreme but...). You can bring your own food in and you can make the event as simple or complex as you want. The Businessman compares this to camping but I usually hear a weird buzzing in my ears and an extreme need to bathe when he mentions that word.

Last night, Vicious was sick so I decided to take Yummy on a date to the drive-in. The forecast called for rain/snow so I grabbed a couple sleeping bags (and apples, oranges and whopper eggs) and we settled in to watch Monsters vs Aliens.

A few minutes into the show it started to rain, so I turned on the windshield wipers. About ten minutes before the end of the show we were having problems with the radio turning off. For some reason, I thought this was a protective measure by the car and it was telling me the battery was low. I turned off the wipers and just kept the radio on. Then I had to crack the windows so they wouldn't fog up. Then I had to use the wipers about every minute so we could see.

Needless to say, when the movie was over the car wouldn't start. I braved the sleet to ask the car next to me if he had jumper cables (he didn't, neither do we, what's wrong with the world?). I then did the walk of shame to the consession stand to admit I'm a woman who doesn't know much about cars.

The crew working there was so nice. They immediately grabbed a Magic Box and ran to my aid. Within seconds my car was started and we were on our way home.

I encourage you to find and patronize your local drive-ins. At the very least, you'll have a date. Or possibly, you'll have a great story your 5yo will tell his father.

I also want a magic box.

What I Made:

Another second sock. Feel free to tell me if you're tired of socks yet. I'm just plowing through my 28 27 miles of yarn. Besides, I had to finish this sock...



...the poor kid was walking around like this for four days:



P.S. Can you tell me the movie this post's title comes from?

1 comment:

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin