Daring Cooks May-Gnocchi ~ Mountain Mama

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Daring Cooks May-Gnocchi

I have a secret... I love the gnocchi you can buy in the pasta aisle. Those larvae-looking blobs that are sealed in plastic. They boil up into slightly larger larvae with a dense, chewy texture. It's what happens when a German American wishes she were Italian. I can't be held responsible.

I have tried making potato gnocchi before. It was disasterous. All three times. So when the Daring Cooks' challenge was posted and I saw our inaugural recipe was ricotta gnocchi I was worried.

And I was right to be worried.


Exhibit A: Test gnocchi after 10 seconds
Exhibit B: Gnocchi? Gnocchi? Where did you go?

I drained my ricotta. I added a little bit more egg. I added a whole egg. I searched my memory and remembered a trick for German bread dumplings and added 1/2 cup flour. That worked and my dough finally held together in the boiling water.



But they had a Spaetzle (pronounced SHPAY-tsul) feel to them. Then I remembered I'm a Kraut and love Spaetzle. So it all worked out in the end.

I sauteed sage leaves I stole from my neighbor's garden until crispy and drizzled the sage-y butter over the gnocchi.



I still can't make gnocchi, but I have always made awesome Spaetzle.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:17 AM

    Hey girl (I can't help but want to call you what we called you in high school). You're very talented with the knitting and seamstress skills! I love it! Glad to find your blog. :)

    Holly

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin