Linen and Lace ~ Mountain Mama

Monday, May 04, 2009

Linen and Lace

It was the year I discovered linen.

Before that, my summer wardrobe consisted primarily of cotton in its various forms. Then I bought a pair of linen pants. To this day, summer cannot start unless I have a new pair of linen pants.

It's lightweight, breathable, absorbent, and it gets softer and softer with every wash.

And gradually I wondered if there were such a thing as linen yarn. This was before the knitting boom and the Internet was still new and I had to hunt a few minutes but I found some linen yarn and a pretty pattern and purchased both (That was still when you sent your credit card info via email. *shudder*).

The goods arrived and it was then I realized the pattern required size 0, 32" and 16" needles. It took me three years to find those and when I finally cast on I realized linen was a pain in the a$$ to knit with. Especially on size 0s (about the diameter of the lead in a #2 pencil). I gave up on that pattern.

For seven years, I have been trying to make something with this yarn. Every year I find a pattern, and every year the yarn refuses.

This year I found a crochet pattern.

What I Made:



(Click pic for the ravelry link.)

After owning 2600 yards (about 1.5 miles) of this yarn for *mumbles* years I have finally conquered it. It's a little boudoir for my taste but it doesn't emphasize any of the bad parts of my body and enhances the right parts so I really need to get over the boudoir thing.

And I need to learn to pronounce boudoir.



Lace Crochet Coat by Kristin Omdahl. Vogue Knitting Spring 2009.

2 comments:

  1. It would be a little boudoir for me as well—but if you paired it with the same color underneath, you'd get a cool color on color with texture look going. It also has a very Victorian feel to me.

    Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:24 PM

    I am considering this pattern - yours seemed like the nicest outcome from Ravelry.

    I didn't think of boudoir until your mentioned it. I was thinking victorian beach. and I think it would go very well with a very light linen shell/pants.

    Hopefully you get good use out of it. I also am wondering if this pattern would become another beautiful closet decoration for me. - MarieIsKnitting (ravelry)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin